People often ask themselves IF they are doing all necessary to be considered a disciple of Jesus Christ. IF we find out there’s something lacking in us, we have no option but to step up. What are those expectations? What does Jesus expect of those who call themselves one of His disciples? IF you read below you’ll find the five IF’s Jesus made known to us.
- IF you have love for one another, you can consider yourself one of Jesus’ disciples. In John 13:35 we find Jesus saying, “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, IF you have love for one another.” IF you love as Jesus loved, accepting people as they are, forgiving others no matter what, meeting each other’s needs as Jesus modeled meeting the needs of others, then there is proof that you are one of His disiples.
- IF you allow the only truth, God’s words, to guide every aspect of your life, then you can consider yourself a disciple of Jesus Christ. John 8:31 – 32 chronicles one of Jesus’ statements to his disciples. He said, “IF you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
- IF you deny your own wants and wishes and live for the Kingdom of God then you can consider yourself one of Jesus’ disciples. Jesus declared, “IF anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 35 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel’s will save it.”(Mark 14:34b – 35)
- IF your allegiance to Jesus trumps your allegiance to all others, including yourself, then you can consider yourself a disciple of Jesus Christ. He said, “IF anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26)
- IF you’re willing to die for Jesus then you can consider yourself a disciple of Jesus Christ. Jesus said, “Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:27) Every person within earshot of this statement had most likely seen a crucifixion. They were fully aware that anyone who was crucified had to carry his own cross beam through the streets, about one mile, where crucifixion would take place.
IF someone exhibits love toward others, learns and lives the expectations unearthed in Scripture, denies self in all situations, has as their first relational allegiance Jesus Christ, and will die for the cause of Christ, then they can rest assured, they are a disciple of Jesus Christ.